Looking to lose weight fast this year?
Tired of carrying those extra pounds?
It’s time to try this miraculous fruit: Banana!
In this post, we are going to examine the various weight loss benefits of bananas. You will also find a weight loss diet plan that involves banana at the end of the post.
Why bananas can help you lose weight fast: Nutritional Value of Bananas
Think bananas are for monkeys? Think again..
These curved yellow fruits provide a lot of nutritional benefits for us human. Regular consumption of bananas help to regulate our digestive system, cholesterol levels, blood pressure. It is also a good snack for pre- and post workout routine.
Some scientists even believe that they might have been the world’s first fruit.
Some quick nutritional facts of banana:
- Good source of potassium – which is an important mineral for maintenance of blood pressure and heart health
- Might help reduce absorption of dietary cholesterol
- Good source of fiber – which helps maintain a healthy digestive system and lower heart disease risk
- Very low in saturated fat
Here’s a fun fact about bananas,
Bananas are thought to have originated from Malaysia around 4000 years ago.
Yes, bananas were born here in Malaysia. Another reason to start consuming bananas: you gotta support your own fruit!
In terms of carb content in bananas, below are some estimates of different sizes (1) :
One Extra small banana (6 inches long or less) – 18.5 grams of carbohydrates (approx 72 calories)
Small Banana (6-7 inches long) – 23 grams of carbohydrates (approx 90 calories)
Medium Banana (7-8 inches long) – 27 grams of carbohydrates (approx 105 calories)
Large banana (8-9 inches long) – 31 grams of carbohydrates (approx 121 calories)
Extra large banana (9 inches long) – 35 grams of carbohydrates (approx 135 calories)
Bananas are an interesting fruit in terms of their carb and sugar content. Eventhough they taste sweet (often due to high sugar content), they are actually a low GI (Glycemic Index) food. Low GI food ensures that your blood sugar levels remain stable. Consumption of low GI foods are shown to help control diabetes, maintain weight loss, and also reduce the risk of heart disease (2,3,4)
Bananas are also a good source of the Vitamin B6, Manganese, Vitamin C, Potassium, Fiber, Copper and Biotin. Banana’s high fibre content also makes it a great prebiotic food. Prebiotics help promote the growth of good bacteria in the intestine. These “good” bacteria or probiotics, will help to promote healthy digestive system and weight lost.
Low GI, high in fibre, rich in nutrients, and a good source of energy. All these attributes make bananas a great food for weight loss.
- Low GI foods are shown to promote weight loss in long term.
- Fibre helps make one feel fuller for longer. Also helps to promote healthy gut flora which is essential to healthy digestive system and healthy weight loss.
- Being a good source of energy and rich in nutrients make bananas a healthy food that can be consumed often
2.) Bananas for fast weight loss: Having bananas as Pre-workout snacks
There is only one way to lose weight: To burn more than what you consume – day after day!
SO it’s equally important to have a work out plan that goes hand-in-hand with your diet plan.
When you work-out, your body first utilises the ready energy in your blood to fuel your exercise. When those are depleted, your body will start burning fat to produce more energy. This is how you can lose fat – by first depleting the ready energy source in the blood.
There is one problem though.
It’s sometimes very easy to over-workout, leaving your body in a low-sugar state. This explains why sometimes you feel a very strong urge to eat post-workout. If you let that happen, you might end up gaining weight despite all the workouts!
Bananas will come in handy here.
As mentioned above, bananas have low GI and therefore can help stabilise the sugar levels in your body – in turn reduces your cravings for food. Bananas are also good source of carbohydrates, so will provide you the energy you need.
One extra benefit you get from bananas is their high potassium content. Potassium helps to prevent cramps and muscle soreness. Muscle soreness is often a reason (a good one) to not workout that often. Having bananas before or immediately after work-out* will therefore prolong your work-out sessions, and increase the frequency you hit the gym.
*note: We think it makes more sense to consume them before work-outs, but there are sources who recommend taking after work-outs
Other weight loss benefits of bananas: Smell of banana helps to curb appetite
Did you know that aromas and scents of certain foods can actually increase or decrease your appetite? ( I didn’t)
But it’s true!
Scientists conducted an experiment involving 3193 volunteers who were at least 10 pounds overweight. These volunteers were given inhalers containing blends of ingredients (peppermint, BANANA, and green apple) and were instructed to inhale through nostrils whenever they were hungry. (5)
Most subjects with healthy olfactory abilities (the ability to smell) lost weight.
Similar research was also done at the Human Neuro-Sensory Laboratory in Washington, D.C., with similar results.
4.) New superfood to try to lose weight fast: Banana peels
Banana peels – the yellow skin that wraps around the fruit, are now the new weight-loss weapon.
Banana peels contain even more of the same nutrients that are found in bananas. for example, the fiber content in the skin, is much higher than the fiber found in the fruit. Pottasium content is also 40% higher in the peel.
Some studies also showed that banana peels can have a positive effect on your mood. Rich in Tryptophan, Serotonine, and Dopamine (mood-regulating chemicals), banana peels can also help you fight depression. Mood also plays an important role in weight loss. Studies have found that people with a positive mood and attitude are more likely to take up an exercise habit, or out-door activities. On the other hand, depression can often lead to overeating and obesity.
If banana can help you lose weight, then banana peels will help you lose weight FAST due to their higher nutrient and fiber content. Banana peels will also lift your mood, and with a positive mood, you are more likely to hit the gym, or go out for fat-burning activities.
Now, the important question: How do you eat banana peels?
The easiest way is to blend them together with the fruit to make your normal smoothie. Good as a breakfast smoothie, as well as a pre-work out power drink!
You can also cook the banana peels. Here is a collection of recipes by eatclean. We haven’t tried them all yet, but so far we are enjoying the yellow skin Banana Smoothie.
It’s really not as weird as it sounds!
How to lose weight fast with Bananas: The Morning Banana Diet
Finally, here comes the fast weight-loss diet plan: The Morning Banana Diet
The Morning Banana Diet originated from Japan. At one stage, it was so popular in Japan it even caused shortages of bananas in food stores in Japan.
The rules of Morning Banana Diet (6):
- Eat a banana for breakfast. Eat only raw, uncooked, unfrozen bananas.
- Eat a banana for lunch with a small salad
- Drink lots of water during the day. When drinking, make small sips instead of big gulps.
- For lunch and dinner, eat as you like. (Ya, whatever you want!)
- Snack is allowed but only one kind a day. You can even have a banana as snacks.
- Dinner to be taken early – BY 8PM every day
- Only plain water is allowed during meal time.
- Sleep early every night – before 12a.m
- Exercise only if you want to (Ya, you have heard me right! Only if you want to!)
- keep a diet journal if possible
That’s about it. Simple rules, right?
The morning banana diet was created by Osaka pharmacist Sumiko Watanabe, for her husband Hitoshi Watanabe, who lost 37 pounds (16.8 kg) in weight. The diet got really popular in Japan when the couple shared it on Mixi, one of Japan’s largest social networking services.
We are a bit skeptical about this diet, mainly because it doesn’t put much restrictions on what you can have for lunch and dinner. It also doesn’t require you to exercise.
But there are thousands of people out there who swears by it. Bottom line is, bananas are still a healthy fruit with lots of weight loss benefits, so there is really no harm trying this relatively cheap and easy weight loss plan.
If you want to try this diet plan for weight loss, make sure you be mindful with what you have for dinner and have a proper exercise programme.
So what do you think? Would you start taking more bananas this year? What other weight loss superfoods have you encountered? Comment at the bottom and let us know!
- “Calories in Bananas.” Calorie Count. Www.caloriecount.com, 17 Feb. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2016. <http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-bananas-i9040>.
- Larsen, Thomas Meinert, et al. “Diets with high or low protein content and glycemic index for weight-loss maintenance.” New England Journal of Medicine 363.22 (2010): 2102-2113.
- Pereira, Mark A., et al. “Effects of a low–glycemic load diet on resting energy expenditure and heart disease risk factors during weight loss.” Jama292.20 (2004): 2482-2490.
- McMillan-Price, Joanna, et al. “Comparison of 4 diets of varying glycemic load on weight loss and cardiovascular risk reduction in overweight and obese young adults: a randomized controlled trial.” Archives of internal medicine 166.14 (2006): 1466-1475.
- Hirsch, A. R., and R. Gomez. “Weight reduction through inhalation of odorants.” Journal of Neurological and Orthopaedic Medicine and Surgery 16 (1995): 28-28.
- Grant, Frank. “Morning Banana Diet Rules.” Morning Banana Diet. 11 Dec. 2008. Web. 18 Jan. 2016. <http://morningbanana.com/morning-banana-diet-rules>.